All of these cakes were made for my good friend Emmaleigh’s wedding. The pig and honeybee cake were for her shower and the tiered cake for the wedding. Her shower theme was ‘Bride to Bee’ so I decided to do smitten kitchen’s chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. This cake is my favorite because it is nice and moist, but also not too sweet as many chocolate cakes tend to be. I stacked three 6″ cakes and then shaved them down to look like a hive and then I made little bees out of fondant, painted with gel coloring, with white chocolate wings. The other cake a I decided to make was the same chocolate cake recipe but with ganache between the layers and kit kats lining the outside. I copied the design here, but took some liberties with the recipe because I like the smitten cake! For the frosting I used a mixture of heavy cream, milk and semisweet chocolate and then stuck my little homemade fondant pigs in there. Emmaleigh loves pigs and thought this was absolutely adorable !
Finally the wedding cake, which was the second one I have made ( I made my own 1 month before but did not do the decorating). I used the same recipe for the cake which was a sour cream cake made with pudding mix. This kept it nice and moist even when flash frozen during the process. First I made all the cakes (two 12″ two 9″ two 6″ and two 8″ for extra cake) the week before, torted them, and froze them with cake boards between wrapped in plastic wrap and in huge ziplocs. The day before the wedding after the rehersal dinner I came and got to work with my 2 mixers making batches and batches of icing. I chose to use the Italian Meringue Buttercream (IBC) the recipe suggested because it holds up well in heat and looks good when piped. I did around 2 batches for the filling which was a strawberry reduction added to the (IBC). I honestly don’t know how many batches of regular almond flavored IBC for the outside, probably around 3 or 4. I used the spoon technique which basically just involved dragging a plastic spoon around on the cake for a rustic effect. I finished the cake with little beads which were supposed to be gold, but I had trouble getting the luster to work, I probably needed an airbrush gun. You can see they are a little different in color than the rest of the cake. I also added the fondant leaves I had dyed, cut out, dried and then painted with gold luster. All in all I think for my wedding cake I decorated and baked it turned out pretty well and the bride was pleased!